Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Who was Joseph Peters?

Joseph Peters was born, May 9th 1832 in Prussia. Son of Franz and Theodora Hodes-Peters.
He trained in Prussia to be a cabinet maker.  At 21 years old in 1853, He came to America.
He had heard that there was a great need for cabinet makers. Before 1810 there were no fine makers of furniture in St.Louis. In 1819 Laveille and Morton arrived with woodworking tools and flat-boats loaded with lumber.

By 1840 Furniture manufacturing was becoming one of the major industries of St.Louis. By 1855 Joseph Peters was known for his bureaus and cabinet work. John Crane opened a shop in 1855 and Martin Lammert in 1860. JP was apparently associated with one of the early shop owners . He worked with one for nine years before he was able to accumulate enough money to open his own factory.


In 1870 he opened his own Factory. Know as The Joseph Peters Furniture Co.He bought the land for the Factory at 15th and Chambers street. The address was 1423-37 North 15th Street St.Louis Mo.
(The building is no longer there) Show room was at 514 Locust Street.
 By 1880 he had at least 75 workmen in his employ. By 1908 there were 50 furniture manufacturers in St.Louis with a gross annual product of $5,867,000.



Described once as one of the "Builders of industrial St.Louis." JP is and was known for his craftsmanship and the quality of his Furniture. Making his pieces out of Ash,Walnut,Oak,Mahogany,Maple,Poplar and Sycamore.Adding elegant ad on's, such as marble tops,rosettes,pressed carvings and quality varnish.
Making bedroom suite, including toilets,beds,wardrobes,chiffonier,desks, wash stands and princess dressers.
Using wood and porcelain for casters.

















 These would be the markings on his later (older) pieces

                                                                        
 These would be the marking on his earliest pieces

                                                                           


Joseph Peters first came to Florissant Mo in 1887. Making it his permanent home in 1890. His main house, One of three in Florissant was built in 1912. It still and now known in Florissant as the "Peters House"
Side Fun Fact and True Story- At one time my Grandpa (Pa) JP the 3rd. Rented the downstairs to my Aunt Nancy. Sending my Uncle over to help fix things and Then later to my Mom upstairs. Then sent my Dad over to fix things. Smart man!!

This is a picture of another Peters house. I am told it was torn down and the land was sold to build a gas station. ( I am air kicking my relatives in heaven at the moment.)


He built his new home at 905 St.Francois . He had the house wired for electricity, even tho there was no electric service in Florissant at the time. Sadly he died before the lights were ever turned on, due to the franchise to Union Electric was granted on March 30, 1914. The city grew quickly after World War II and a larger City Hall was needed. A new building was built on the same lot as JP the 1st House, at the corner of St. Francois and Jefferson. JP the 1st, was an amateur botanist and nature lover. He died on May 10th 1913 . The rare Horse Chestnut and Copper Beech trees still surround parts of the new city hall. As well as on the blocks surrounding the land he owned and homes that once stood on the blocks. He also owned a greenhouse on one of the blocks adjacent to his home. (Where Boatmens/ now Bank of America is as well as the large parking lot) His chief interest was grafting and propagating of trees and shrubs.
Another Fun Fact: My mom said she remembers walking by this house as a child and running her fingers over the iron fencing surrounding the property.

JP the first was the son of Franz and Theodora Hodes-Peters. His first wife Caroline Gassman -Peters, died in 1882 of congestive heart failure. They were one year apart in age. Apparently Great Great Gpa Peters decided he needed to live a little and went for a 30 years younger version in round two. He married his second wife, Christina Bacher in 1888.Christina was born in 1861 and died in 1930.  Together they had three children. Joseph Peters II (b.1889 d.1969) Carl G Peters and Anna Peters. Anna later married into the Aydt family.
                                                                                2nd Wife, Christina Peters

Joseph Peters II
                                                                    


JP the 1st was also one of the founders as well as the first President of the Florissant Valley Canning,Milling and Creamery Company. It was organized by 8 farmers in the St.Ferdinand Township.
It was stated that it had been sold in May 1902, as per a newspaper article from May 20th 1902. The same month Mark Twain came back to St.Louis , traveling home.
The factory canned mainly Tomatoes and pumpkin. The factory operated till 1918. 

 In 1905, shortly after founding the citizens bank of Florissant, JP was elected President. A position he held at the time of his death. It was later changed to Florissant Bank in 1948. In 1968, Joseph Peters Jr. (II) Was still the Director of the bank and served a record of 57 years, until his death.

JP the 1st also served two terms as Mayor of Florissant.


  Joseph Peters I, before his death.
 I have always thought he had an extremely kind face. Someone I would love to ask questions from. Tell my stories to , in return. What an amazing thing that would be!


It took a lot of digging just to find what was  put on this post alone. Good new is I have soooo Much more to share and still find! I am currently solving mysteries on Land owner ship in Texas. The Peters family also had a servant named Lizzie Lott. She started working with them at the age of 17, in 1882. It is believed she was an Indentured servant. Still working on finding more out about that.

Not to mention the countless papers of original deeds from the factory! 
 (Those will be posted at a later date :)       


  Also, I want to clear up some gossip, that others on the web have posted about JP and his life.He was NEVER, to my knowledge or anyone in my families, a undertaker. He may have made a coffin or two, requested from a coroner or something (This is even a guess) But never an undertaker.He also never owned over 50 factories. Sorry, but I think owning just one, a milling company/ canning company, countless acres of land, president of a bank, amateur botanist and mayor for two terms will have to suffice.



              Till next time, treasure hunters!  - Rachel

19 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel, I am Sarah From Robinson, Texas. I have a piece that I received from my grandparent's estate. It has the ink stamp and number 92 on the back. Would love to send you some pictures. There may be many more pieces within the family because I remember they seem to match. Back in the late 70's my grandmother purchased a lot of furniture from an estate of her sister's mother-in-law. I posted a while back a message to you, but it disappeared.
    Sarah G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,

    Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog AND post to me. That is incredible!! Do you know why so many pieces may be in your family? Did they just like his work? I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to see some pictures. I will look through the ledger and see if I can find the number. There is about 500+ pieces listed and he categorized them in groups or materials and or sets. so it might be hard to find.

    What type of piece is it? (Dresser,Desk, Etcetera) Can you tell what it is made from?

    I can't wait to hear back and see some pics!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I was just looking to see what was out there for a piece of Joseph Peters. I have a low dresser with mirror, will send pick if you want.

      Delete
  3. Hi Rachel,
    I purchased a dresser made by Peters Furniture today here in Austin, TX. It is in need of some TLC, so I'll be restoring it. I was hoping that you could give me a little more info on the piece. It is a eight drawer highboy. On the back is stamped either "242 3/4" or "24 2 3/4" and was originally delivered to Crystal Falls, TX. Any info that you can send my way would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks!
    EvaLe Adams

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel,
    So glad you started this - I'm a descendent of Joseph A. Peters too! My great grandma was Anna Peters who married Oscar Otto Aydt of Florissant. They lived on the property which now holds the Florissant City Hall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My family has done a lot of digging on our family - let me know if you want my email address & we can compare stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie I would love to talk to you and swap stories and pictures!!

      Please feel free to email me on my personal email at ivalil5@yahoo.com

      I can not wait to hear from you and sorry for the delay!

      Delete
  6. I just got a cool piece that is in great condition. I think it's a wardrobe but it has a mirror too. I would love to send pictures and get more info. Musiccitytreasurechest@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris I would love to help you out! Just send pictures and your story of the piece!

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad I found this blog :) I had about given up on a piece I had bought from Goodwill but I decided to give it one more try as I really loved the character and now I love it even more for my little mans nursery! I feel like I know the man who made it! My original seal is on it but I don't really see a number. It's a tall dresser that had SEVERAL coats of paint on it :/ I managed to get the paint of the front of the drawers and bring back the beautiful walnut wood (I think)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi all, my parents just bought my wife and I a beautiful JP piece and I'm hoping to see if anyone here has any info on it. It's a dresser in a style that I've never seen before. It has a "closet" attached to the dresser and a mirror as well. The number in the back is 218. I'm happy to provide pictures as well. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My grandparents had a piece of you grandfather's furniture to it has a stamp and 160 on the back. I have looked everywhere for one that looks like it but unfortunately have not found anything close ! Your grandfathers work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know if your grandpa made multiple pieces of his furniture exactly the same ?

      Delete
  10. I have a full size bed with a tag from the Jospeh Peter Furniture Company. Are you still looking for pieces of his furniture? Michaele

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Michaele! I absolutley am. When I started this blog, I only had 2 children. Now I have 5 total and want to make sure, I have a piece for each to pass down. As well as finding pieces for my sibling to give to their children. I was lucky enought to find the most amazing condition ladies dresser. I mean, It looked brand new. Original wood caters and all. I gave it to my sister, to pass down to my nephew.

    I apologise, After I had my triplets I kinda abandonded ship fr a while and have just recently got back into the swing of things. Im so glad I looked and found your comment. Please feel free to reach me at Ivalil5@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi I live in Ks.I bought a piece from a garage sale.It is a wardrobe and has a separate mirror not real sure it goes with it did he make those? It looks old.It has that old sticker on the inside of the door green trim yellow) Says Made In St .Louis by (JOS PETERS FURNITURE CO. Can you guess the age?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello. Possibly. If you would like to, send me some pictures and I'll do my best. There is a good possibility that that is not the original attached mirror or was repacked from damage. Ivalil5@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. My piece has the number 11G 1/2 and below it has FB feel free to reply to Hilda hildv17@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete